Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Internet Addiction is Real


Addiction is rampant in our culture because we do not strive for much. We are literally fat and metaphorically happy. Matriarchs don't carry laundry to the nearest stream to wash and bring back fresh water while men hunt and farm all day as once was the case. I think there is a scale on which the more civilized or advanced a society becomes, the more it has unfulfilled individuals and seeks any and all diversions to maintain happiness. Basically, I extrapolate the second law of thermodynamics applied to society. The latest example of American societal decline is internet addiction. I found this great article about internet addiction by Winston Ross in Newsweek. What really makes his article pop is the anecdotal example of his own brother choosing to be homeless and spend his days on the internet at the library instead of fitting into normal societal roles. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of not fitting into traditional societal roles, but not necessarily like that. Look, I spend a lot of time on the internet, but not at the expense of work, family, or anything else important. Maybe I'm in denial. Just another step toward the fall of Western civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment