Monday, February 15, 2010

Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Olympic Luger

I just watched the video of the Georgian (the country) luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili, crashing on the track at the Olympics. I was not watching the Olympics when it happened because I do not like the Olympics, but after hearing Colin Cowherd talk about the issue of NBC broadcasting the crash at length today on his ESPN Radio show I became intrigued. CNN has an extensive story and the video that a friend sent me. I have never been one of those 'faces of death' people. That is not what I do on the internet. I like my violence and gore fake and Hollywood. The real stuff creeps me out. You will not catch me watching UFC or other MMA events. It is just not my scene. The crash was brutal and your heart goes out to the family of the athlete, but I agree with the take Cowherd had on his show. He was talking about how it was really an easy decision to broadcast the incident. It is news. It was the topic of the day and once word spread that it had happened that would be the only reason people would be tuning in to NBC. It is a dramatic story. Think about it. The Winter Olympics this year was just going to be another hum-drum affair and now our attention is seized upon the games because of this story. The only thing I really have to add to the story that I have not heard yet is when I remember watching luge in the past I seem to remember the track being in a huge capital U shape and not just around the turns. That turn where Kumaritashvili lost control seemed really sharp and if the track had higher walls he probably still would have crashed, but it may not have been fatal.

No comments:

Post a Comment