Thursday, February 11, 2010

Nonpopulist Music: New Sage Francis Album

I am pumped about this new Sage Francis album coming out in May and that is a big deal because I am old enough now where I am no longer keeping up with "hot new bands" and discovering new music. The last "new music" I discovered was Unknown Hinson, and I only found him because of Squidbillies. No, I am at the age where I am content mostly to listen to music I already know. That is how I know I am freaking old. Every once in a while there will be some new hipster band on Saturday Night Live or what used to be Conan O'Brien's show, and none of it appeals to me. I am just crotchety, I guess. I will just roll with the music I have now.
Sage Francis represents a rare thing, a rare thing I can not really do a good job explaining except he is a great artist. He has been rapping since an early age, won the freestyle battle at Scribble Jam, made one of the most hauntingly personal albums I have heard in my life in Personal Journals, changes and grows while still being true to hip hop each album, and now he is doing a concept album with indie rockers. I left a lot out in that description, but you can start to see how awesome he is. Here are a few youtube clips to help out my lacking description. The audio is not going to be high quality in all of them, but I dare you to watch these videos and then say you are not a Sage fan.








No comments:

Post a Comment