Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nonpopulist Music: Oasis Will Be Missed


Oasis is one of my two favorite bands of all time. They are also the one of that two that I have not seen perform live, so you can imagine my disappointment when the news came out recently that the band had broken up- Again. This time the breakup feels permanent. Nonpopulism has some caveats/exemptions- what have you, and this is one. Regional Nonpopulism. In England, liking Oasis is the American equivalent of liking Justin Timberlake or whatever you consider to be one of the most popular people that makes music. In America, Oasis is a drop in the musical bucket. Wonderwall is usually the only song anyone can name by them which is annoying and cool but mostly cool. Being a yank, it is very unpopular to like Oasis, but I think Noel Gallagher, who just quit the band, is one of the best songwriters of our time. I hope all of the rumors I have been hearing for ten years is true; that Noel has solo material ready for an occasion such as this. Maybe I will get to hear Noel by himself someday. Until then I will be sad. I leave you with one of Oasis' better live performances I have seen with the best set of band members in my opinion and one of their better songs. LIVE FOREVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment