Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Nonpopulist Books: Mysterious Stranger by David Blaine


I just got done reading Mysterious Stranger by David Blaine. The book was an interesting read as I have been an admirer of his for a while, but I think the book would also work for someone who did not understand or like Blaine all that much if they could open themselves up a little. The book has everything you could want or need in an autobiography of David Blaine. He included explanations of the origins and inner workings of some of his famous demonstrations as well as a few how-to guides on card and other magic tricks. The parts I enjoyed the most were the magic history and stories of what influences his magic including a great section on Houdini. The pieces of his life story included in the book are as riveting as they are heartbreaking. Overall Blaine was real in the book and any fan of his will get a good thrill from the book. The book also answered something that I have been curious about for a while. I enjoy Kafka's writing and I have always assumed the David Blaine was also- specifically the short story The Hunger Artist. He confirms in the book that Kafka is, in fact, an influence of his. Now to choose two more books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment