Thursday, January 7, 2010

Nonpopulist Rules for Life: Think for Yourself


"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitable he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is apt to spread discontent among those who are.”

~ H.L. Mencken
This quote is a prefect example of why I like quotes so much. Sometimes a quote hits so squarely or rings so truly for you that it gives you a confidence. The right quote at the right time can crystallize jumbled up thoughts or notions from which you have been too distracted to make sense of and help order things correctly in your mind. I have decided this quote sums up how I feel about government and my current attitude concerning the entity I feel as though I should make it a personal mantra. I am that man from the first part of the quote and always hope to be. The second part of the quote I have flip flopped in stages- sometimes as the man tries to change and sometimes spreading discontent. As we continue to give up freedoms for a false sense of security or so no one gets left behind (health care) and pay more taxes for all of it all one has to do it take a step back, a deep breath, and focus on what is happening to see we are being bent over as a nation.

Hell, I am not always right. No one has it all right all of the time. It is in the seeking to be right and to further our own understanding and hone our perspective that we earn our right to speak, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment